Registering Your Business

System for Award Management

To be awarded a contract with a federal agency, your business must maintain an active registration in the System for Award Management (SAM), found at www.sam.gov. Please note that registration is FREE and must be updated annually. The Washington PTAC has created a screenshot guide, found here.

Before registering in SAM, you will need to:

  • Obtain an Employer Identification Number if you don’t already have one
  • Obtain a DUNS Number, if you already have one, ensure that business name and address are correct and match what you will use for your federal contractor registration
  • Identify the appropriate NAICS codes for your products and/or services

Need Assistance?

Call or email us for help understanding how federal contracting can serve your business.
Phone: 206-256-6109 or
Email: Stephanie.Scott@Commerce.wa.gov
Learn more about technical assistance advisors.